Skip to content
- Two clans, The Taira and Minamoto, became very powerful with the help of their samurai armies. There was an inevitable clash and the Minomoto clan won.
- Minamonoto Yoshitomo established a new shogunate in Kamakura called Bakufu (the tent government/ the military government).
- The impact of Buddhism peaked.
- This is the period when the Japanese castles flourished, and the feudal system became common.
- The Rinzai school of Zen buddhism was born and influenced the life of the samurai.
- It is said that the fear of death was reduced because of Zen buddhism.
- Some scholars claim that Zen buddhism was only the religion of the samurai when it was first introduce to Japan in 1191.
- Zen was Born in the Shaolin temple in China so it naturally has a close connection to martial arts.