The main purpose of judo is to develop a strong character. There are 5 stages to build a strong character.
- SHOSHIN (初心): Empty mind, the beginner’s mind. High awareness and high motivation are necessary.
- ZANSHIN (残心) : Lingering mind. Focus is necessary in this stage.
- MUSHIN (無心) : No mind. In this stage the person loses his ego and his fears.
- FUDOSHIN ((不動心) : Strong mind. In this stage no attack can change the emotions of the fighter.
- SENSHIN (先心) : Purified spirit. This is the spirit that brings together the whole universe. The highest level of mind state.